Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Living life My Way

Music is a splendid demonstration of Man's ability to put complex thoughts and feelings into an
easily digestible form.Love and hate, war and peace, passion and indifference...music has spoken of every feeling and experience known to man.Many a songs has been created that touches someone somewhere in a profound way.

Frank Sinatra's "My Way" is such a song for me. "My Way
perfectly encapsulates my philosophy of how I live my life and how I hope that I will be remembered when I have passed from this earthly realm.

(Since Blogger will not permit me to copy the words here I will link the lyrics:http://www.lyrics007.com/Frank%20Sinatra%20Lyrics/My%20Way%20Lyrics.html)

In "My Way" Sinatra is saying that he has lived a life that was a full. It had its' ups and it had its downs. There were times he took on more than he could handle and there were times he was master of the situation.His life was literally was the best of times and the worst of times. But no matter the circumstance, he did it HIS way. No one dictated to him how he would live his life.

To paraphrase William Ernest Henley's "Invictus", Sinatra was the master of his fate, the captain of his soul.And so am I.None shall dictate to me how I shall live.

The concluding lines of "My Way" are an fiercely eloquent expression of living life your way. These lines more than any other in the song are why I cherish this song.

For what is a man?What has he got?
If not himself--Then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows that I took the blows
And did it my way

Yes, it was my way.

To speak your mind, to live your life as you desire even if you falter and bring ignominy upon yourself, is the essence of the living life My Way philosophy.A life lived in docile service to others wants is a contemptuous, miserable, existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment